Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Something About the Meaning of the Word, "Chance"

Question: Is the world pre-determined, does it operate in accord with a set of universal laws, or is it random and chaotic, and subject only to randomness and chance?

Answer: I'm sitting in class, and my cell phone starts quietly beeping at me. It's battery is low. I thought [had believed] that I had put it on silent, but it was on "loud". I take it out of my pocket and start fiddling with it under the table, trying to get it to shut up. Just after I get it to "vibrate", it rings; some number I don't recognize is trying to call me. So my phone makes a little noise, but at least it doesn't start loudly playing "Flight of the Valkyries" for everyone to hear. If the person on the other line had happened to call one minute earlier, or if my phone hadn't been low on batteries, then I would have been responsible for interrupting class with my anti-Semitic phone ring, and that would have been very, very embarrassing. "Phew," I think to myself, "That was lucky."

2 Comments:

Blogger chaz said...

interesting question....between the old school greeks and heidegger.......I think I would go for the beauty of the chaos. The emptyness.The one we are so scare of.

7:13 AM  
Blogger chaz said...

hummmmm..intreresting question..between old school greeks and Heidegger. I think i would go for the beauty of chaos and emptyness (the one we are so scare).

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home