Monday, June 19, 2006

A Translation Issue from Anya

First: Was it you that was involved in the discussion of whether one can lie unintentionally?

Secondly: In the development of "doubting things" of an individual (assuming it can be broken down into stages of different 'stuff' that can be doubted (stuff because that seems more general thatn thing/concept/idea/person) what does a developing consciousness doubt before the other: a) the truthfulness (certainty) of themselves to themself or b) the meaning of things (direct symbolism)? (maybe doubt isn't the best word, maybe question, maybe wonder, maybe just perception, or perception altered by doubt....erghhhhh)

Thirdly: I have come to the conclusion that you are my worst enemy or at least to what I want to do in life--that is translate-harness language (s). As if it wasn't enough that there is never a one-to-one correspondent between two words in two languages (slippery synonyms at best) There you reappear with your "meaning" crap. So since I take this as a personal attack on my translating peace of mind, From now on I will send you really itrritating word questions so they can distract you from your theoretical task at hand.

So here is one I have just encountered.

Russian book title: "School for Fools."
problem word: Fools (archaic, devoid of meaning)
In the Russian the word for "fool" is used frequently and casually, still carries all the levels of meaning that can be found for the English word in the dictionary (e.g. a dupe, a jester. particularly: mentally deficient, retarted) So the title is literally "School for Retards" but that can't be the title (Sounds adolescent and too pejorative/joking).
Use: The narrator is a schizophrenic kid who goes to a "specialED" school for all sorts of mentally deficient kids who have learning disabilities/crazy (ironically he is no fool).

(As I was writing this I cam up with a really good solution, but I'm not going to tell you so you can at least waste five minutes of your time thinking about this. Thank you for indirectly aiding already)

4. Hope you are enjoying yourself. Congratulations for finding a good use for your education (As you can see by the time I have to write your this impolitely long message, I haven't. To defend my self worth, this is the only one I have written to date so I haven't sunk into that sort of muck just yet)
Enough.
Thank you, Sincerely, Yours Truly,
~A

P.S.-nya

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home