Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Something About the Meaning of the Word "Will"

Question: Do human beings have a soul, are they able to assert their will against the predetermining laws of force and causality, or are they merely subject to the same principles of nature as the tides and falling rocks? Ought one to be a behaviorist or an anti-behaviorist? A monist or a dualist?

Answer: I had spent all day in front of my computer, working on my Wittgenstein paper. My girlfriend came home from work, and she made us a couple of martinis, and we sat in the kitchen eating chips and salsa. It was nice to give my eyes and my mind a break, to relax and think about nothing in particular for a while. But the night was getting late, and I still needed a good four or five more pages before morning. So - in an act of pure will - I got up from the table and went back to typing on my computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home